Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
Our Energy Systems and E-Mobility segment of UL continues to grow and we're seeking an Electric Vehicle Charger and/or a Distributed Energy (Inverter) Engineer to join our Energy & Industrial Automation team!
What you’ll learn & achieve:
In this position you will work directly with internal and external customers, ensuring products such as Electric Vehicle Chargers, Battery Storage Systems, Battery Chargers, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Inverters and potentially even commercial Drones are meeting safety requirements. Our new team member must possess excellent project management skills along with strong communication skills, with the ability to clarify complex requirements for a wide range of customers. If you are organized, detailed oriented, able to drive projects and procedures, have a strong ability to multi-task, and are looking for an opportunity to truly stand out to make an impact, we have the opportunity for you!
- Independently determines project scope, develops a preliminary plan of investigation, and determines project specifications such as cost, time, and sample requirements by analyzing client input, available supplemental data, and product construction. Projects may include frequent travel to conduct or witness tests at client sites.
- Initiates communication with clients to promote and explain the benefits of new and existing services. Follows up on contacts from clients. Communicates with clients to discuss technical issues, explain UL procedures and requirements, convey project cost, and negotiate completion date and sample requirements. Acts to address client concerns and to resolve complex client issues. Provides technical assistance to clients in reference to product inspection and follow-up services.
- Establishes appropriate test programs by reviewing files and manufacturer's information, examining samples, and applying UL requirements. Determines areas in which the product is not in compliance with UL requirements or of any changes in project scope or specifications, and notifies client.
- Coordinates complex laboratory activities by preparing data sheets and instructions to technicians and by establishing completion dates. Coordinates administrative aspects of project management. Serves as Project Handler of record and signs as Reviewer of record as assigned.
- Communicates project status and results to clients through frequent contact and by preparing reports. Prepares Follow-Up Service Procedures and information pages.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Resolves complex engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations.
- Develops UL requirements for testing products beyond the scope of existing standards, or those involving unique features requiring frequent use of independent judgment. Develops special test methods and test equipment. Coordinates and/or performs File Reviews. May represent UL on technical committees and/or industry-related functions such as seminars and trade shows.
- May provide direction as a Primary Designated Engineer or Designated Engineer for specific product categories.
- Directs and reviews work of assigned staff. Trains office, field, and/or laboratory staff and entry level engineers. Provides technical assistance in several product categories, operations or systems to laboratory and/or field staff.
- Performs other duties as directed.
What makes you a great fit:
- University Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited program plus eight years directly related work experience.
- Detailed knowledge of the technical vocabulary common to the appropriate discipline.
- Working knowledge of conformity standards in use in areas of expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to apply project-handling concepts in use in areas of expertise, including application to complex, new, or unusual products.
- Working knowledge of industry issues, needs, and problems.
- UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: In the US, we provide lots of great benefits for our employees are their families. From Volunteer Days off to 401k match and retirement contribution benefits to flexible work location & schedule options we look to support our employees no matter what stage in life they are experiencing.