May 11, 2022
Job Purpose :
The Data Analytics Engineer / Data Scientist that will primarily focus on developing MI/AI/physics-based data models for condition-based monitoring of its assets deployed worldwide to better assist our customers. In this role, the candidate will contribute to the design, development and deployment of world class rail products and services vital to our customer’s needs. Reporting to the Director of Data Science, this role will enable innovative, strategic, and high-tech solutions for the rail industry through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, problem solving skills, resourcefulness, teamwork, and creativity in ambiguous situations. A high degree of personal initiative is a prerequisite. Typical data science team efforts are a combination of some or all of the key job elements listed below.
The ideal candidate is an experienced self-starter, strong attention to details, with excellent written and verbal skills. Enjoys working in a collaborative, fast-paced, environment and is willing to take on roles outside of comfort zone. Technical aptitude and being well versed in Machine Learning and Data Science tools and processes is a must. The role will work closely with the multiple engineering teams.
Key Job Elements :
- Contribute to the design, development, testing, and deployment of software systems and applications;
- Gain/Use Domain Knowledge in order to further analytic capabilities;
- Analyze large amounts of machine sensor data for pattern search;
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis;
- Develop anomaly detection, condition based monitoring, and digital twin models;
- Apply ML and other advanced analytical techniques on time series machine sensor data to classify machine failure modes;
- Understand the business needs and develop data-based solutions;
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner;
- Support field reported issue resolution through data analysis;
- Travel as required.
Entry-level (0-5 years)
Education/Training : B.S. or M.S, degree in quantitative discipline such as data science, data analytics, computer science, engineering, statistics, mathematics, or other related degree;
Qualifications & Experience :
- 1+ years of software development experience;
- 1+ years of experience with Python, R, SQL, and relational data bases.
- Good understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms;
- Experience architecting and implementing data analytics-based solutions;
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.;
- Good scripting and programming skills in Python and R;
- Experience with common data science toolkits;
- Experience in cloud-based environments such as AWS;
- Experience with Snowflake data warehouse;
- Experience with data visualization tools;
- Experience in integrating ML models into larger deployed systems;
- Strong business sense and abilities to communicate data insights to both technical and nontechnical clients ;
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL;
- Knowledge of classical mechanics a bonus;
- Systems engineering knowledge a plus;
- Experience with elastic search and NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra is desired ;
- Knowledge and experience in the Rail Industry desired.
Essential and Physical Activities Functions:
- Strength – Position typically involves work in a standard office environment. Occasional standing and walking. Heavy lifting (up to 35 lbs) is rare but may be required;
- Motion – Position regularly requires standard repetitive motions and hand/eye coordination associated with office communications. May require bending, lifting, standing, climbing, kneeling, crouching, walking, etc.;
- Vision/Hearing Requirements – Significant verbal communications, including both talking and hearing;
- Work Environment – Work in temperature-controlled environment;
- Emotional Demands – Required to liaise with multiple levels within and outside the organization, including senior leaders and managers. Individual must be well-spoken, able to manage multiple priorities and individual requests on a daily basis, with a professional and supportive attitude;
- Safety – Position required to follow all safety guidelines and requirements.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits.
This position is eligible for relocation benefits
EEO Information :
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities
Security Clearance Required